In the upcoming July issue of Virginia Super Lawyers, we'll feature a story on Susan Brewer, CEO of Steptoe & Johnson. She's the first woman to lead a major West Virginia firm, and while we offer a look at that role in her story, below are a few more nuggets from her interview that didn't make it in.
We can't keep it to ourselves--the Super Lawyers app for iPad and iPhone is available for download at the Apple iTunes store. And did we mention it's free?
This week, Super Lawyers marks our one year anniversary with Thomson Reuters. It's been a great year indeed, and it's been an honor to tell the stories of amazing attorneys from a platform that continues to grow with the help of Thomson Reuters, FindLaw and Hubbard. As a twenty-year member of the Thomson Reuters family via West Publishing, I feel as if Super Lawyers is really at home here. Our motto at West was to provide "better service to the bench and bar," and of course, Thomson Reuters Trust Principles reinforce what Super Lawyers has always stood for -- freedom from bias and dissemination of information. At Super Lawyers, we name the attorneys who exhibit excellence in practice, as evidenced by their nomination by peers and the findings of our independent research team. You can't buy your way onto our list or into our editorial. We disseminate our lists widely so that consumers who need an attorney can use them as input to their important hiring decision. And we surround the lists with editorial that tells the stories of these attorneys who set the bar as jurists, community members and people. It's been a great year for Super Lawyers and I have no doubt 2011 will be even better.
Lately I've been traveling the country to meet with attorneys who have been selected to the Super Lawyers list. I've assembled an advisory board, which will be announced in the near future, of lawyers from all firm sizes who are perennially on a Super Lawyers top list in their states. There is something universal about these highly successful and effective practitioners. They are nice. And engaging. And responsive. Our editorial team has found that "the bigger the wig the more gracious they are." Indeed, one attorney told me of a plaque that he keeps on his desk that reads, "It's better to be nice than right." Of course he can say that because he usually wins, but by all outward accounts these are not just words but a way of life.
Personal injury attorney John S. Johnston of Kansas City, Mo., is no stranger to being called Mr. Prez. In 1998 he was president of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. In 2003, he took the top role at the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation. And now he's gone statewide.
As the Supreme Court begins its second week of hearings, we recognize a few of the attorneys appearing as counsel of record who have been listed in Super Lawyers.
When Rev. Fred Phelps and members of his Westboro Baptist Church picketed a U.S. Marine's funeral in Maryland in 2006, with signs reading, "You're going to hell," "Thank God for dead soldiers," and "America is doomed," it didn't take long for the story to spread across the nation. The father of the soldier, Albert Snyder, who lives in York, Pennsylvania, sued, and today arguments for Snyder v. Phelps will be presented in front of the U.S. Supreme Court, which is tasked with deciding whether Phelps can claim freedom of speech protections for his actions.
The first Monday of October marks the start of a new term for the U.S. Supreme Court, and on Tuesday, the court will hear arguments for NASA V. Nelson, which addresses an employee's constitutional right to informational privacy. The case stems from a lawsuit filed by 28 scientists and engineers who are contract workers at the NASA-owned Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.
- Kurt Arnold: Arnold & Itkin, Texas Rising Stars (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010)
- Richard Arsenault: Neblett, Beard & Arsenault, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Dawn Barrios: Barrios, Kingsdorf & Casteix, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Daniel E. Becnel: Jr., on behalf of his firm, Becnel Law Firm, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007, 2010)
- Scott Bickford: Martzell & Bickford, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007 -2010)
- David Boies: New York Super Lawyers-Metro Edition (2007-2010)
- Anthony (Tony) Buzbee: The Buzbee Law Firm, Texas Rising Stars (2004), Texas Super Lawyers (2004, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Elizabeth Cabraser: Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, Northern California Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Brent Coon: Brent Coon and Associates, Texas Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Lewis "Mike" Eidson: Colson Hicks Eidson, Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Calvin Faynard: Fayard & Honeycutt, Southern California Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Thomas Girardi: Girardi Keese Southern California Super Lawyers (2004-2010)
- Ervin Gonzalez: Colson Hicks Eidson, Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Stuart Z Grossman: Grossman Roth, Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Stephen Herman: Herman, Herman, Katz & Cotlar, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Rhon Jones: Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, Alabama Super Lawyers (2009-2010)
- Mark Lanier: The Lanier Law Firm, Texas Super Lawyers (2003-2010)
- Walter Leger Jr.: Leger & Shaw, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Ronald Motley: Motley Rice, South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008-2010)
- Mike Papantonio: Levin Papantonio, Florida Super Lawyers (2006 to 2010)
- Ronnie Penton: Law Offices of Ronnie G. Penton, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2008-2010)
- Joseph Rice: Motley Rice, South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008 -2010)
- James Roy, Domengeaux: Wright, Roy & Edwards, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007 -2010)
- Christian Searcy: Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley, Florida Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Christopher Seeger: Seeger Weiss, New York Super Lawyers (2006-2010)
- Matthew Shaffer: Schechter McElwee Shaffer & Harris, Texas Super Lawyers (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- James Singleton: Singleton Law Firm, Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2010)
- Scott Summy: Baron & Budd, Texas Super Lawyers (2008-2010)
- K. Luan Tran: Lee Tran & Liang, Southern California Rising Stars (2005-2007)
- Perry Weitz: Weitz & Luxenberg, New York Super Lawyers-Metro Edition (2006-2010)
- John Eddie Williams Jr.: Williams Kherkher Hart Boundas, Texas Super Lawyers (2003 -2010)